• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squabble

fimbul

I'm trying to dream up a menu for some friends, and I wonder if some friendly eGulleteers might be able to help me.

We're having over, in early May, a couple. They have specifically asked that I cook them "leetle birdies," and it seems they're particularly interested in trying squab.

This suits me, as I've been looking for an excuse to cook squab again for awhile.

My thought was this: I'd like to either spatchcock or bone-out almost entirely the squabs and saute them in achiote oil. Then I'd finish them in the oven, and serve them atop a grain, probably quinoa (been playing with combinations of achiote and quinoa all week -- it's a good mix). My trouble is that my kitchen is small, and squabs are awkward. Four splayed squabs are bigger than my 12" skillet will hold, so I can't just sear them atop the stove then stuff them inside to finish. Can I, do you think, saute the squabs singly before guests arrive, then roast them on a sheet pan in the oven at the last minute?

Eh, for some reason, I'm muddled. Anyone feel like playing?

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Four splayed squabs are bigger than my 12" skillet will hold.

I think one of the single most useful items for something like this is a dual-burner sized cast-iron griddle/grill. It's got enough room for large searing jobs like yours and once you get it hot it stays hot for a good long time. And damn if Amazon isn't selling them dirt cheap at $27.99.

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I think one of the single most useful items for something like this is a dual-burner sized cast-iron griddle/grill. It's go enough room for large searing jobs like yours because once you get it hot it stays hot for a good long time. And damn if Amazon isn't selling them dirt cheap at $27.99.

So pretty! I want one!

But I think my SO will kill me dead twice if I bring another large piece of cast-iron into our home.

I'll ponder a bit, while angel and the devil on my shoulders play Rock Scissors Paper. :unsure:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Of course the ~$14 shipping charge makes it much less of a good deal.  Hard to believe it's best to buy cast iron on line.  A crepe pan, yes, lol...

Actually that item qualifies for their "Super Saver" free shipping deal, so it's $27.99 - - done and done.

Also, if you spend $99 or over in their Kitchen & Housewares dept they'll send you a $20 gift certificate for future orders.

Really not a bad deal.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.