• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

300th Aniversary in Barbados.

JOHN REEKIE

MOUNT GAY RUM had a big party in Barbados on Feb 20th and 22nd, at various spots over the Island. Their Celebration ended with a Grand Musical Extravaganza and Fireworks on Bay Street Esplanade ( south of Bridgetown).

Part of the celebrations was a MountGay Great Rum Cake. Which was baked localy and was 'The Worlds Largest Rum Cake', ever baked at 423 lbs. Which as well as all the fruit cake mix contained only 35 bottles of Mount Gay Rum.( was that 750s or gallon bottles I wonder ?). With an additional 33 bottles of wine to produce the cake. ....Check out the Mount Gay Web Site for more information.

Their Tricentennial Selection Limited Edition Rum is now available in a 'Specially Designed Decanter' and Presentation Box. Its a blend of three exceptional Vintages 1969, 1974, 1976. and has a tasting age of 30yrs. The run is limited to 3000 bottles only Worldwide, and the sugested retail price is $300.oo USD. ....To Order and ordering information contact Remy Amerique - 1 800 358 6002..... In Canada contact - Maxxium Canada 1 416 535 7899 (Dan Shorrocks). In Europe contact Remy-Cointreau.

The Mount Gay Rum CookBook - 'Spirited Cooking' by Paul Yellin, The long awaited publication should be finaly published later this summer. look out for it in your local bookstores or by electronic bookstore.

This information I am passing on to the Forum I have gathered from a couple of letters from Barbados and Mount Gay and from their Web Site.

For more of Information on Mount Gay -Tricentenial Selection Limited Edition and the artical on the Celebrations, shopping etc go to.

.................... http://www.mountgayrum.com/300thcelebration/300limited blend/.html

If you are one of thoes that just have to have an 'Aniversary limited Edition Tricentennial Blend' get you cards out and order. No joking aside I wish I could get one.

Happy Rumming......John Reekie.

• 5 months later...

I just returned from St Thomas where I picked up some Mount Gay Extra Old (among other things) and several stores had a promotion to celebrate Mount Gay's 300th anniversary - one bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse free with every two bottles of Extra Old purchased. I have never tried the Eclipse before, but the price was right! They were selling the Tricentennial Rum for $300, I guess the supply is so limited, there is no discounting (unlike the Extra Old which was $13 for 750ml)