• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durham, NC

s'kat

I went, alone, to the Magnolia Grill last week. Unfortunately, I was so tired and stressed out by the time I arrived in Durham, I barely had an appetite.

I almost cancelled my reservation, but decided that if I had to drive 3 & 1/2 hours in the miserable, ceaseless rain, I'd at least have something decent to eat.

Eating alone at a nice restaurant was a strange experience for me. Perhaps some of it had to do with that being the first time I've been away from my husband since we've married... nonetheless, I felt slightly disconcerted and out of whack the entire time.

I had a glass of wine (languedoc), some yummy little rolls, and an incredible soup: a tomato bisque with calamares, spanish chorizo, and saffron aioli. The bisque didn't seem creamy or thick at all. The calamares were perfectly tender, and interspersed nicely with spicy slivers of chorizo. The soup was filled with miniature croutons that tasted of garlic. It's one of the best soups I've ever had.

Much too my dismay, I found that by the time every last drop had been coaxed from the bowl, I was too full to even contemplate dessert. :angry:

It was a nice little restaurant, and I look forward to returning- my husband and I may be attending a concert next month in the Raleigh area. Close enough, in my book.

Thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions.