• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1994 Chateauneuf du Papes

Beachfan

I think this vintage is underrated. While not in the league of 98, 99 or 95, I've had several delicious bottles including Beaucastel (in delicous halves) and Janasse Vielle Vigne.

Tonight I had the Clos du Mont Olivet Reserve and it was really excellent. Delicious fruit, still youthful (no "dumb" phase with these 94s).

What's been your experience?

beachfan

The 1994 Les Cailloux has been drinking beautifully since the day I bought it, and a bottle sampled a few months ago was an absolute delight - atypical (for CDP) bright red cherry notes, deceptively light at first but with a great deal of depth that gradually reveals itself. Structured for the long haul, but delicious right now.

I'm still sitting on 1994 Vieux Telegraphe - any recent notes on that one?

Thanks for the update on the 94's. Here in Vancouver we rarely have the opportunity to buy older ventages from our government run retail stores. I have 2 bottles of Beaucastel 81 cellared. What can I expect from these wines? I thought the readers of this thread may be able to help me with this question.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Thanks for the update on the 94's. Here in Vancouver we rarely have the opportunity to buy older ventages from our government run retail stores. I have 2 bottles of Beaucastel 81 cellared. What can I expect from these wines? I thought the readers of this thread may be able to help me with this question.

Well-stored bottles of '81 Beaucastel can be astonishingly delicious. Unfortunately, there are few well-stored bottles in North America. The distribution chain back then was much worse than now, and lots of the Beaucastel was heat-damaged along the way. I have no idea how BC takes care of its wine, or where it gets the old stuff, but it could be great.

The wine is certainly at or near a peak, I would try a bottle fairly soon if I were you.

Drank all mine years ago, sadly.

Well-stored bottles of '81 Beaucastel can be astonishingly delicious.  Unfortunately, there are few well-stored bottles in North America.  The distribution chain back then was much worse than now, and lots of the Beaucastel was heat-damaged along the way

that's when library selections on wine lists seem worth the extra money.

Well-stored bottles of '81 Beaucastel can be astonishingly delicious.  Unfortunately, there are few well-stored bottles in North America.  The distribution chain back then was much worse than now, and lots of the Beaucastel was heat-damaged along the way

that's when library selections on wine lists seem worth the extra money.

You betcha, although not everyone in Chateauneuf has a good cellar either, I hear.

I believe that a lot of the damage occured on the way across the Atlantic. On the decks of frieghters in unolled containers. is this the problem you refer to?

Many importers in that era (and this, for that matter) did not refrigerate in transit. Many of them didn't have air conditioned warehouses, either. They shipped in uncooled trucks. To shops with hot storage. To customers who left the wine in the trunk on a hot day. On the way to their warm home. Years later, the customer got religion and put the wine into professional storage. Then, when they auction off the wine, its provenance is described as "removed from professional storage."

Most of these problems persist, but some in the trade are now more careful.