• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martinengo Vini Barolo?

vengroff

I was browsing around Schneider's of Capitol Hill when I ran across these two bottles, priced at $39.95 each. I asked about them, and was told, "with Barolos of that age, it's a crapshoot. But if you open it and it tastes like shit, just bring it back for a refund."

I bought one of each, given the non-corked or your money back guarantee. 71 and 78 were good years, so how bad could it be? If it's well preserved, but just not the greatest Barolo around, I certainly won't take it back.

Any comments on these bottles or odds on whether I'll find them in drinkable condition?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Good vintages but without good storage good luck. Also there were a lot of crappy Baroli made in those days.  Are you sure on the producer name?

Thanks, Craig. The unknown storage is certainly going to be the key.

I googled for the producer and the first thing in English that came up was the Felidia Wine List, which has both vintages (bins 1420 and 1421).

The label in full reads:

BAROLO

DENOMINAZIONE D'ORIGINE CONTROLLATA

Invecchiato in fusti di rovere ed imbottigliato da

Guisseppe Martinengo

nella cantina in Belveglio.  Per assaporare meglio le

caratteristiche e consigliabile stappare la bottiglia qualche

ora prima e servirio a terperatura di 18 - 22 gradi.

RISERVA

SPECIALE

L15297

MESSO IN BOTTIGLIA DA

MARTINENGO Vini S.A.S.

BELVEGLIO (ASTI) ITALIA

750ml e              13,5% vol

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code