• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

This is what I like to eat when in Greece, at any time, but usually in the morning or early evening, sometimes twice a day. I am particularly fond of goat's/sheep's yoghurt and milk in Greece. We have goat's yoghurt and milk at home but only in small portions as they are far less popular, unlike in Greece.
UBMHLI8B_o.jpg

It's allowed to block the footpath, scooters park on footpath and at street corner. Photo taken early in the morning. The neighbourhood is packed in the afternoon until as late as people can stay awake (near morning, really). The noise level is impressive. More impressive is how the people who actually live on these streets can get any sleep (soundproofing is not prevalent). It's quite infuriating as noise brings me enormous stress but thankfully the heavy duty earplugs help a lot. I still like Athens, though. This is in the immediately neighbourhood of my hostel.
hiPv0MGV_o.jpg

A tiny old chapel and a big hotel is built above it.
O5LbvFfe_o.jpg

I went to see the changing of the guards again but didn't stay for the next change.
d0wGfdGz_o.jpg

Why don't they just erect a barricade? Tourists keep trying to come closer and the guard has to tell them to back off. A dove enjoyed the guards performance along with the tourists.
k81y2O2Z_o.jpg

I'm a big supporter of this rule
aSsQJBCK_o.jpg

Visited a beautiful stadium today. The first stadium of modern Olympic games, the only one in the world that's made entirely of pure marble. It's in excellent condition, too.
TZJEtQbZ_o.jpg

tpG5m9Jk_o.jpg

This living symbol of Olympic games is still being used to this day. Very impressive in person.
nHgF4A9O_o.jpg

The drain covers at the stadium are also marble...
3z5K8mNO_o.jpg

Speaking of marble, it's something Greece seems to have an endless supply of. Older pavements and streets in Athens are also marble.
BFAUTuuU_o.jpg

Acropolis/Parthenon is only a short distance away.
AdcxNeOf_o.jpg

I took the metro to a Cretan restaurant and saw this when I entered the metro. No time to look at the details today, saving it for next trip.
FjRS9H5D_o.jpg

U7kVx7Ho_o.jpg

A popular Cretan restaurant. All the tables in this section were reserved.
SsYprm90_o.jpg

My table. They let me sit here because it was around 5pm, not quite dinner time, which is hours later.
mVLD49QG_o.jpg

Old copper pans as decoration.
b5wYPOdi_o.jpg

They had a few things available at this early hour. I chose green beans in tomato sauce and (tender, succulent) pork. Had wanted a plate of snails as well but owner said probably too much food for me. She was right.
Ie46sB8s_o.jpg

BHOQDOum_o.jpg

Checked out another beer bar. It has potential but needs at least one more staff member behind the taps, one with a higher level of craft beer knowledge.
qyj5rvnQ_o.jpg

The bar used to be part of the pavement...
PS8A8MgC_o.jpg

Street is next to where those people sit outside
dNZ0rgMg_o.jpg

5mR4XJDr_o.jpg

The Rock (not some massive actor) was always there to guide me when I got lost in a maze of streets. This time, at sunset, it guided me back to my favourite pub in Athens. (HIgh above is the Parthenon brightly lit by the Athenian sunset.)
JFS7WayS_o.jpg

Hey now. It's a pastry shop.
OnClSLE6_o.jpg

Ate these in a shop earlier. Small shop with no space to make proper photos. Besides, I ate them standing, sticky syrup on my fingers, so not touching my camera.
037K0NHj_o.jpg

4DnCsDY4_o.jpg

AOS0tRNw_o.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

This is what I like to eat when in Greece, at any time, but usually in the morning or early evening, sometimes twice a day. I am particularly fond of goat's/sheep's yoghurt and milk in Greece. We have goat's yoghurt and milk at home but only in small portions as they are far less popular, unlike in Greece.
UBMHLI8B_o.jpg

It's allowed to block the footpath, scooters park on footpath and at street corner. Photo taken early in the morning. The neighbourhood is packed in the afternoon until as late as people can stay awake (near morning, really). The noise level is impressive. More impressive is how the people who actually live on these streets can get any sleep (soundproofing is not prevalent). It's quite infuriating as noise brings me enormous stress but thankfully the heavy duty earplugs help a lot. I still like Athens, though. This is in the immediately neighbourhood of my hostel.
hiPv0MGV_o.jpg

O5LbvFfe_o.jpg

I went to see the changing of the guards again but didn't stay for the next change.
d0wGfdGz_o.jpg

Why don't they just erect a barricade? Tourists keep trying to come closer and the guard has to tell them to back off. A dove enjoyed the guards performance along with the tourists.
k81y2O2Z_o.jpg

aSsQJBCK_o.jpg

Visited a beautiful stadium today. The first stadium of modern Olympic games, the only one in the world that's made entirely of pure marble. It's in excellent condition, too.
TZJEtQbZ_o.jpg

tpG5m9Jk_o.jpg

This living symbol of Olympic games is still being used to this day. Very impressive in person.
nHgF4A9O_o.jpg

3z5K8mNO_o.jpg

Speaking of marble, it's something Greece seems to have an endless supply of. Older pavements and streets in Athens are also marble.
BFAUTuuU_o.jpg

AdcxNeOf_o.jpg

I took the metro to a Cretan restaurant and saw this when I entered the metro. No time to look at the details today, saving it for next trip.
FjRS9H5D_o.jpg

U7kVx7Ho_o.jpg

SsYprm90_o.jpg

My table. They let me sit here because it was around 5pm, not quite dinner time, which is hours later.
mVLD49QG_o.jpg

b5wYPOdi_o.jpg

They had a few things available at this early hour. I chose green beans in tomato sauce and (tender, succulent) pork. Had wanted a plate of snails as well but owner said probably too much food for me. She was right.
Ie46sB8s_o.jpg

BHOQDOum_o.jpg

Checked out another beer bar. It has potential but needs at least one more staff member behind the taps, one with a higher level of craft beer knowledge.
qyj5rvnQ_o.jpg

PS8A8MgC_o.jpg

Street is next to where those people outside
dNZ0rgMg_o.jpg

5mR4XJDr_o.jpg

The Rock (not some massive actor) was always there to guide me when I got lost in a maze of streets. This time, at sunset, it guided me back to my favourite pub in Athens.
JFS7WayS_o.jpg

OnClSLE6_o.jpg

Ate these in a shop earlier. Small shop with no space to make proper photos. Besides, I ate them standing, sticky syrup on my fingers, so not touching my camera.
037K0NHj_o.jpg

4DnCsDY4_o.jpg

AOS0tRNw_o.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

UBMHLI8B_o.jpg

hiPv0MGV_o.jpg

O5LbvFfe_o.jpg

d0wGfdGz_o.jpg

k81y2O2Z_o.jpg

aSsQJBCK_o.jpg

TZJEtQbZ_o.jpg

tpG5m9Jk_o.jpg

nHgF4A9O_o.jpg

3z5K8mNO_o.jpg

Speaking of marble, it's something Greece seems to have an endless source of. Older pavements and streets in Athens are also marble.
BFAUTuuU_o.jpg

AdcxNeOf_o.jpg

FjRS9H5D_o.jpg

U7kVx7Ho_o.jpg

SsYprm90_o.jpg

mVLD49QG_o.jpg

b5wYPOdi_o.jpg

Ie46sB8s_o.jpg

BHOQDOum_o.jpg

qyj5rvnQ_o.jpg

PS8A8MgC_o.jpg

Street is next to where those people outside
dNZ0rgMg_o.jpg

5mR4XJDr_o.jpg

The Rock (not some massive actor) was always there to guide me when I got lost in a maze of streets. This time, at sunset, it guided me back to my favourite pub in Athens.
JFS7WayS_o.jpg

OnClSLE6_o.jpg

037K0NHj_o.jpg

4DnCsDY4_o.jpg

AOS0tRNw_o.jpg