• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panacalty

I cooked a shoulder of venison Kleftiko style earlier in the week and we had a ton of leftover meat and potatoes (a certain son had to cancel at short notice).

I was considering what I could do differently with the left overs and the thought of Panacalty came to mind.

Panacalty is a dish from the North East of England, closely associated with the city of Sunderland. It is traditionally made with tins of Corned Beef, sliced potatoes, carrots and onions.

I made it with half the leftover venison and cooked waxy potatoes, both thinly sliced. I threw in some of the cooked garlic cloves from the Kleftiko and some onions and a beef gravy I had previously frozen after a beef roast. I also had some stuffing from a roast pheasant that went in. A complete mix up of leftovers. The result was very good; so much so that I have used the rest of the leftover venison and potatoes to make another which is now sitting in the freezer.

The original inspiration came from this online recipe for a traditional Panacalty.

https://www.greatbritishfoodawards.com/recipes/traditional-panacalty-recipe

• Like 3