• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

My maternal grandparents , French refugees during the Nazi occupation (1940), moved to the UK where they opened a newsagents / tobacconist shop. During the harsh rationing caused by the German blockade of Britain, local farmers would come to the shop hoping to exchange wild rabbits, which they had shot, for tobacco. So, my mother was brought up eating a lot of rabbit, a habit she passed on to me and my siblings.

Years later when I moved to London my local butcher Norman obtained wild rabbits from his younger brother, a farmer, then call me to tell me he had them. So the tradition continued.

Here, I can obtain rabbit no problem, but only farmed, highly probably not in good conditions. Sad, but better than no rabbit.

Rabbit is hugely popular in Sichuan, especially roasted 'ma la'* rabbit heads sold as street food all over.

malarabbithead.thumb.jpg.f0ec8efd70ef5f93ca4d5d7238267c1e.jpg

Rabbit Head

Also, I sometimes make Sichuan style 辣子兔肉 (là zi tù ròu), rabbit with chillies, a take on  the more common 辣子鸡 (là zi jī) chicken with chillies.

LaziRabbit2.thumb.jpg.d4c499dcc8e4085eb3a9cb569a3cc58f.jpg

辣子兔肉 (là zi tù ròu)

* 麻辣 (má là), the iconic Sichuanese combination of chilli and Sichuan peppercorns. Literally 'numbing hot'.

That said, I do most often cook it in a more French style with mustard sauce.

liuzhou

liuzhou

My maternal grandparents , French refugees during the Nazi occupation (1940), moved to the UK where they opened a newsagents / tobacconist shop. During the harsh rationing caused by the German blockade of Britain, local farmers would come to the shop hoping to exchange wild rabbits, which they had shot, for tobacco. So, my mother was brought up eating a lot of rabbit, a habit she passed on to me and my siblings.

Years later when I moved to London my local butcher Norman obtained wild rabbits from his younger brother, a farmer, then call me to tell me he had them. So the tradition continued.

Here, I can obtain rabbit no problem, but only farmed, highly probably not in good conditions. Sad, but better than no rabbit.

Rabbit is hugely popular in Sichuan, especially roasted 'ma la'* rabbit heads sold as street food all over.

malarabbithead.thumb.jpg.f0ec8efd70ef5f93ca4d5d7238267c1e.jpg

Rabbit Head

Also, I sometimes make Sichean style 辣子兔肉 (là zi tù ròu), rabbit with chillies, a take on  the more common 辣子鸡 (là zi jī) chicken with chillies.

LaziRabbit2.thumb.jpg.d4c499dcc8e4085eb3a9cb569a3cc58f.jpg

辣子兔肉 (là zi tù ròu)

* 麻辣 (má là), the iconic Sichuanese combination of chilli and Sichuan peppercorns. Literally 'numbing hot'.

That said, I do most often cook it in a more French style with mustard sauce.