• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Enoking seems to be a decent Chinese brand of cooking knifes.

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. The name in 'Chinese' does not equate to Enoking and using the 'Chinese' name on an internet image search only returns a bunch of images from garish looking comics. No knives. 

Not to say that they don't make good knives.

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China. Mine weighs 434 grams.

caidao.thumb.jpg.d536d8d749751e016a4e7314ffb03532.jpg

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife', sometimes (incorrectly) translated as meat cleavers. These are considerably heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed specifically for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens. Mine is almost three times heavier than the cai dao, being 1.2 kg.

bonecleaver.thumb.jpg.a85b5fb8f7b452ec5467fcdabbbccfea.jpg

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

From your description, the heaviness and the image on Amazon, I think you may have bought the second type.

To my amusement, while trying to find any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. The name in 'Chinese' does not equate to Enoking and using the 'Chinese' name on an internet image search only returns a bunch of images from garish looking comics. No knives. 

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife', sometimes (incorrectly) translated as meat cleavers. These are considerably heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed specifically for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens.

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

From your description, the heaviness and the image on Amazon, I think you may have bought the second type.

To my amusement, while trying to find any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

liuzhou

liuzhou

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife', sometimes (incorrectly) translated as meat cleavers. These are considerably heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed specifically for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens.

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

To my amusement, whilr trying to fnd any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

liuzhou

liuzhou

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. Not to say that they don't make good knives.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

To my amusement, whilr trying to fnd any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

liuzhou

liuzhou

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. Not to say that they don't make good knives.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife'. These are heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed for pecifically cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens.

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

liuzhou

liuzhou

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 肉刀 (ròu dāo), meaning meat knife. These are heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens.

肉刀 (ròu dāo)