• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Speaking of which, @Darienne, poblanos would be one of the best choices for chile rellenos because they have structure. Stuffing a Hatch chile is no mean feat; most of the thin long green chiles are too fragile. The problem is that even here, in northern CA, most poblanos are pretty mild and haven't as much taste as the routinely medium-hot ones we used o get in NM. Besides, if you made rellenos with real Hatch chiles your head would explode.

Sad to say, Ed returned without Poblanos.  Apparently they are not selling well and the grocery store is no longer carrying them.   Very sad news....

Added:  just remembered that friends come fairly regularly once a month to stay over to attend  a gourd (my avatar photo is a large gourd which Ed and I sold many years ago) workshop.  She lives just outside of Toronto...where they would carry Poblanos...and I could ask her to bring me a large amount.  

Darienne

Darienne

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Speaking of which, @Darienne, poblanos would be one of the best choices for chile rellenos because they have structure. Stuffing a Hatch chile is no mean feat; most of the thin long green chiles are too fragile. The problem is that even here, in northern CA, most poblanos are pretty mild and haven't as much taste as the routinely medium-hot ones we used o get in NM. Besides, if you made rellenos with real Hatch chiles your head would explode.

Sad to say, Ed returned without poblanos.  Apparently they are not selling well and the grocery store is no longer carrying them.   Very sad news....