• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

From -8C/17,6F to 18C/64,4F!

Felt so good to be on the ground again after continuous turbulence during the flight. I'm sensitive to turbulence after having experienced terrifying earthquakes in Crete.

8G8Jfq5.jpg

Unfortunately, earthquakes are also normal here, just not as bad and as frequent as in Greece. It's my second time here, actually. I visited for the first time in 2015. Travelled the length of this country then crossed the border into Greece, stayed a couple of days in Meteora and took the train to Thessaloniki where the partner came to join me. We had 4 destinations to choose from and the partner picked the one I wanted to avoid. But now that we are here I'm happy. The city has changed beyond recognition in 7 short years.

qDA73j3.jpg

Missed the bus and with 45 minutes to kill we went back inside. Nice beer. Mother Teresa is super famous here, the only airport in the country is named after her.

RMPCKhO.jpg

First meal in the capital. Small local restaurant, non stop busy. An empty table doesn't remain empty for even 5 minutes. The lighting is mostly bright multi colour neons, it's a nightmare scenario for food photos.

NKdIkTN.jpg

Simple plain yoghurt sauce. Could use some raw garlic and finely chopped pickles.

y4kA47L.jpg

I liked this from my previous trip. Will order mixed pickles every time. These are very sour, would be better if a bit more salty and less sour. It's "mixed pickles" but mostly aubergines and cabbage.

mPusxsa.jpg

Albanian kofte only comes in this shape. Looking round seeing plates piled high with these on every table. 5 pieces are a standard order for each person. We got 5 for both of us.

c8tOlfz.jpg

Kofte dipped in yoghurt, nice airy pitta.

x7RnKBJ.jpg

Wine marinated beef skewer. The skewer was removed and meat placed on a hot plate.

fgk0mQu.jpg

Lamb chops, mostly bones. OK lamb. The beast was probably a bit older than what we call "lamb" at home. If you eat New Zealand lamb this would be a bit strong in taste for you. But I still think it's better than much-too-mild NZ lamb.

kTaxCnB.jpg

has

Drinking beer in my room now. Am even staying at the same hotel on my first trip. Now under new management and had been renovated during the Covid years. It's something totally different now. 

vxCf4zV.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

From -8C/17,6F to 18C/64,4F!

Felt so good to be on the ground again after continuous turbulence during the flight. I'm sensitive to turbulence after having experienced terrifying earthquakes in Crete.

8G8Jfq5.jpg

Unfortunately, earthquakes are also normal here, just not as bad and as frequent as in Greece. It's my second time here, actually. I visited for the first time in 2015. Travelled the length of this country then crossed the border into Greece, stayed a couple of days in Meteora and took the train to Thessaloniki where the partner came to join me. We had 4 destinations to choose from and the partner picked the one I wanted to avoid. But now that we are here I'm happy. The city has changed beyond recognition in 7 short years.

qDA73j3.jpg

Missed the bus and with 45 minutes to kill we went back inside. Nice beer. Mother Teresa is super famous here, the only airport in the country is named after her.

RMPCKhO.jpg

First meal in the capital. Small local restaurant, non stop busy. An empty table doesn't remain empty for even 5 minutes. The lighting is mostly bright multi colour neons, it's a nightmare scenario for food photos.

NKdIkTN.jpg

Simple plain yoghurt sauce. Could use some raw garlic and finely chopped pickles.

y4kA47L.jpg

I liked this from my previous trip. Will order mixed pickles every time. These are very sour, would be better if a bit more salty and less sour. It's "mixed pickles" but mostly aubergines and cabbage.

mPusxsa.jpg

Albanian kofte only comes in this shape. Looking round seeing plates piled high with these on every table. 5 pieces are a standard order for each person. We got 5 for both of us.

c8tOlfz.jpg

Kofte dipped in yoghurt, nice airy pitta.

x7RnKBJ.jpg

Wine marinated beef skewer. The skewer was removed and meat placed on a hot plate.

fgk0mQu.jpg

Lamb chops (mostly bone). OK lamb. The lamb was probably older than what we are used to. If you only eat mild New Zealand lamb this will be a bit strong in taste for you.

kTaxCnB.jpg

Lamb chops, mostly bones. OK lamb. The beast was probably a bit older than what we call "lamb" at home. If you eat New Zealand lamb this would be a bit strong in taste for you. But I still think it's better than much-too-mild NZ lamb.

kTaxCnB.jpg

has

Drinking beer in my room now. Am even staying at the same hotel on my first trip. Now under new management and had been renovated during the Covid years. It's something totally different now. 

vxCf4zV.jpg