• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

replaced image

27. 牛筒骨 (niú tǒng gǔ)

I was thinking about this and the fact that, although very popular, it only ever appears in restaurants; almost never home cooked, never available in the stores. And I was wondering why when the ‘don’t be an idiot; you know why’ light came on.

580603509_MarroeBones.thumb.jpg.4f8cd2fd12293eb6eb7318c748f439d5.jpg

牛筒骨 (niú tǒng gǔ) literally means ‘beef tube bone’. It is, of course, marrow bone. And the locals love it – as do I. What we are talking is roast bone marrow. And the reason it’s restaurant only, is that so few people have ovens. Almost no one. I do, but for a long time I was unable to source the bones. Seemed they were all reserved for the restaurant trade.

My favourite mini-chain 哈尔滨架子王 (hā ěr bīn jiǎo zi wáng)  - Harbin Jiaozi King restaurants serve up steaming plates of marrow and dispense plastic gloves for the handling of bones. They do mean jiaozi (dumplings), too.

Recently, I have been able to acquire the bones online (750 grams / $3.59 USD). The essential parsley is more expensive at $3.77 for a mere 250 grams!

parsley.thumb.jpg.11363133cf70aa40a44a607a723c27f1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

27. 牛筒骨 (niú tǒng gǔ)

I was thinking about this and the fact that, although very popular, it only ever appears in restaurants; almost never home cooked, never available in the stores. And I was wondering why when the ‘don’t be an idiot; you know why’ light came on.

1186874073_niutonggu.thumb.jpg.aed18d63000f867ed10c9b7026995a44.jpg

牛筒骨 (niú tǒng gǔ) literally means ‘beef tube bone’. It is, of course, marrow bone. And the locals love it – as do I. What we are talking is roast bone marrow. And the reason it’s restaurant only, is that so few people have ovens. Almost no one. I do, but for a long time I was unable to source the bones. Seemed they were all reserved for the restaurant trade.

1699566298_.thumb.jpg.38cb6f1f4bbf91a38982faa5d0412561.jpg

My favourite mini-chain 哈尔滨架子王 (hā ěr bīn jiǎo zi wáng)  - Harbin Jiaozi King restaurants serve up steaming plates of marrow and dispense plastic gloves for the handling of bones. They do mean jiaozi (dumplings), too.

Recently, I have been able to acquire the bones online (750 grams / $3.59 USD). The essential parsley is more expensive at $3.77 for a mere 250 grams!

parsley.thumb.jpg.11363133cf70aa40a44a607a723c27f1.jpg

Images from listings on 美团 (měi tuán), China’s leading food delivery app’s listings. This is fair use I'm sure, but will replace these when I get out of this hospital where the marrow bone is all inside the patients’ bones.