• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

广西壮族自治区

Guǎngxī Zhuàngzú Zìzhìqū

Gvangjsih Bouxeungh Swcigih

Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region

It has often been said that where I live in China, the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, has no distinct cuisine of its own. While that is partly true, it is an over-simplification. Yes, the south is largely Cantonese whereas the north leans more to the robust, chill-laden flavours of Hunan and Guizhou provinces. However, that is to ignore the cuisine of the region’s ethnic minorities, including, but not limited to the Zhuang (壮族), China’s largest minority most of whom live here. Also, there is an influence from the Hakka (客家) people who are displaced members of the majority Han Chinese. A significant number of Hakka also live in Guangxi.

So, I thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce some of the things I find in my local supermarkets, markets and other stores which you may not find in yours. I’m not planning on going looking for deliberate oddness or exotica, but instead just everyday food here.

I’ll start with 酿豆腐 (niàng dòu fu) - Stuffed Tofu Cubes or Balls. Carolyn Phillips in her All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) covers this as Zhuang-Style Stuffed Bean Curd Balls. However, although the Zhuang have certainly embraced the concept, I believe it is originally a Hakka preparation. Cubes or balls of firm tofu are hollowed out and stuffed with a spiced pork paste. Fish is sometimes added or the pork completely replaced by a fish paste. These turn up at family meals and family celebrations – less often at formal banquets.

1454198727_StuffedTofu2.thumb.jpg.c91eab3fe45da96eae4a51a868d938f6.jpg

Stuffed Tofu Cubes (酿豆腐)

In recent years, instead of using tofu, all sorts of things get the stuffing treatment. Shiitake, bitter melon, eggplant / aubergine and chilli peppers (see illustration).

525660932_stuffedstuff3.thumb.jpg.bceb30f3480c04bff667e07b80ed440e.jpg

A  selection of stuffed vegetables

1220443365_stuffedgreenchillies2.thumb.jpg.5c6d41550af65610fbfe6eab13336d6e.jpg

Stuffed Green Chilli Peppers

Pork and Shiitake Stuffed Bitter Melon.jpg

Pork and Shiitake Stuffed Bitter Melon 

These are made at home, but also ready prepared and sold in many supermarkets to be steamed or fried at home.

liuzhou

liuzhou

广西壮族自治区

Guǎngxī Zhuàngzú Zìzhìqū

It has often been said that where I live in China, the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, has no distinct cuisine of its own. While that is partly true, it is an over-simplification. Yes, the south is largely Cantonese whereas the north leans more to the robust, chill-laden flavours of Hunan and Guizhou provinces. However, that is to ignore the cuisine of the region’s ethnic minorities, including, but not limited to the Zhuang (壮族), China’s largest minority most of whom live here. Also, there is an influence from the Hakka (客家) people who are displaced members of the majority Han Chinese. A significant number of Hakka also live in Guangxi.

So, I thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce some of the things I find in my local supermarkets, markets and other stores which you may not find in yours. I’m not planning on going looking for deliberate oddness or exotica, but instead just everyday food here.

I’ll start with 酿豆腐 (niàng dòu fu) - Stuffed Tofu Cubes or Balls. Carolyn Phillips in her All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) covers this as Zhuang-Style Stuffed Bean Curd Balls. However, although the Zhuang have certainly embraced the concept, I believe it is originally a Hakka preparation. Cubes or balls of firm tofu are hollowed out and stuffed with a spiced pork paste. Fish is sometimes added or the pork completely replaced by a fish paste. These turn up at family meals and family celebrations – less often at formal banquets.

Stuffed Tofu Cubes (酿豆腐)

In recent years, instead of using tofu, all sorts of things get the stuffing treatment. Shiitake, bitter melon, eggplant / aubergine and chilli peppers (see illustration).

These are made at home, but also ready prepared and sold in many supermarkets to be steamed or fried at home.

liuzhou

liuzhou

广西壮族自治区

Guǎngxī Zhuàngzú Zìzhìqū

Stuffed Tofu Cubes (酿豆腐)

1931334362_PorkandShiitakeStuffedBitterMelon.thumb.jpg.a94dea9dda42f7e19981bb64361cd4d6.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Stuffed Tofu Cubes (酿豆腐)

1931334362_PorkandShiitakeStuffedBitterMelon.thumb.jpg.a94dea9dda42f7e19981bb64361cd4d6.jpg