• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shawarma_prince

shawarma_prince

On 6/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, shawarma_prince said:

Are samosas, naans and pilaf/plof/polo also Persian in origin? or Turkish?

I also contacted a prominent Iranian food expert who said joshpara was invented by Persian in preislamic times and Turkish/Armenian manti (and even Nepali momo) are derivative of that. Is that plausible? Obviously the momo part is not but the manti part?

https://books.google.de/books?id=RL6LAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA434&dq=joshpara&pg=PA434#v=onepage&q=joshpara&f=false

It seems like the oxford companion to food agrees with a persian origin for joshpara(not sure if it had central asian or chinese influence). But manti is def turkish. so not sure how something can be invented by two cultures in the same region of the world and be considered seperate.

I also read that steak tartare/hamburgers are from Mongol warriors and ice cream and bacon is also CHinese.

shawarma_prince

shawarma_prince

On 6/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, shawarma_prince said:

Are samosas, naans and pilaf/plof/polo also Persian in origin? or Turkish?

I also contacted a prominent Iranian food expert who said joshpara was invented by Persian in preislamic times and Turkish/Armenian manti (and even Nepali momo) are derivative of that. Is that plausible? Obviously the momo part is not but the manti part?

https://books.google.de/books?id=RL6LAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA434&dq=joshpara&pg=PA434#v=onepage&q=joshpara&f=false

It seems like the oxford companion to food agrees with a persian origin for joshpara(not sure if it had central asian or chinese influence). But manti is def turkish. so not sure how something can be invented by two cultures in the same region of the world and be considered seperate.