• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

On 7/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

I am doing my best, but I feel that my job won’t be complete until she starts appreciating escargots and foie gras! :)

I like both Madeleine Kamman's  and Melissa Clark's takes on snails:

MK:  Quoting from "When French Women Cook" where she describes an incident with the purging snails:  "One boring Sunday afternoon , I succumbed to the temptation to remove the weight. By seven o'clock when we came back from some venture, the walls were decorated with the trails of climbing snails. I got spanked, hated live snails forever, and felt vindicated when they appeared in soups and sizzling in pastry shells".

MC: Quoting from "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite":  "...we did relish dipping nuggets of crusty baguette into the molten. garlicky, green-flecked snail butter., of course. ....Years later, I feel the same, and am convinced that the only reason to order snails a la bourgignon is to sop up the butter surrounding them, then unload the snails to your tablemates, passing them off as delicacies"

heidih

heidih

On 7/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

I am doing my best, but I feel that my job won’t be complete until she starts appreciating escargots and foie gras! :)

I like both Madeleine Kamman's  and Melissa Clark's takes on snails:

MK:  Quoting from "When French Women Cook" where she describes an incident with the purging snails:  "One boring Sunday afternoon , I succumbed to the temptation to remove the weight. By seven o'clock when we came back from some venture, the walls were decorated with the trails of climbing snails. I got spanked, hated live snails forever, and felt vindicated when they appeared in soups and sizzling in pastry shells".

MC: Quoting from "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite":  "...we did relish dipping nuggets of crusty baguette into the molten. garlicky, grren-flecked snail butter., of course. ....Years later, I feel the same, and am convinced that the only reason to order snails a la bourgignon is to sop up the butter surrounding them, then unload the snails to your tablemates, passing them off as delicacies"