• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarah M's Bahn Mi

Sarah's Bahn Mi

Looks like Sarah has read the bahn mi thread here in Pac NW.

I wonder how this recipe would do? What we really need is to go down to Bahn Mi 88 and demand his bbq pork recipe.

Ben

Edit: I doubt it was inspired from our thread, but I can always hope.

Edited by Schielke (log)

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

We could also just go down and demand he sell us a big sack of BBQ pork.

As much as I love banh mi, I've never had a desire to make them at home. Presumably I would if I didn't live a short bus ride from seventeen banh mi places.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 3 months later...

It seems that Bahm Mi is invading the mainstream food media. The current issue of Sunset Magazine has a recipe for bahn mi or "Vietnamese subs."

The recipe looks pretty basic.. cilantro, carrots and jicama (? Vietnamese? hahaha) marinated in rice wine vinegar. But I started balls out laughing when I read the recommendation that the sandwiches be made with "deli meat." Argh.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 1 month later...

This episode is airing again today at 2 PM PST (right? the show comes on at 11 for me but I have the East coast feed). A NY version of the Philly cheese steak (looked good) a Cuban sandwich with ham and roast pork and finally a banh mi sandwich.

She was pretty close but her recipe came from a restaurant in NY's Chinatown and as you might imagine, is different to our local banh mi which must be better. But she has a good start. The daikon and carrot are marinated, the meats looked good, plenty of cilantro (yeah!) and a huge slice cucumber which I'm apposed to myself. Her bread didn't look nearly as good as our demi-baguettes and she sliced them the whole way through (boo!). She also didn't add any jalepeno slices (BOO!) but add chili oil instead (double boo!).

Anyways, here's a good start to making your own banh mi for when you don't have the time to get to the ID and as long as you keep in mind what makes a banh mi great, you'll do a lot better than Sarah.

p.s. don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Sarah and I'm proud of her for attacking the banh mi behemouth. Also, the Cuban sandwich looked really good and similar to Seattle's own Mojito's.

p.p.s. she finished off the show with cafe su da. wo.