• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doorly's XO

Jason Perlow

Doorly's XO, imported by Spirit of Hartford, is a great rum from Barbados. Just tasted it, its a blend of 6-12 year old rums, aged in sherry casks.

The highly-seasoned Oloroso sherry barrels impart a nice sweetness to the rum and almost gives it a Brandy de Jerez-like character.

hitimewine.com has this one for $25.99. A great buy I think.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

On my site this is listed as Doorly's Fine Old Barbados Rum. The importer wanted it listed that way before it was actually available, but now everyone knows this rum as Doorly's XO. You can find a list of distributors by state on the Spirit of Hartford website.

This rum is a little lighter than some of the other aged rums but it is very nice on the rocks and is sometimes confused with an aged whisky. I certainly don't want to be out of this one.

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I also have RL Seale's Foursquare spiced rum, I'm going to open that one up and try it tonight. Any recommendations for use?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I drink Foursquare with Ginger Ale but I try to use one that isn't too sweet. Foursquare doesn't any added sugar cane syrup as a sweetener. Sugar also tends to take some of the bite out of young rums. Foursquare starts out as a two-year-old rum that is then spiced. Cheers!

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I tried it straight on the rocks last night -- very smooth, the flavor was brought out nicely by the dissolving ice.

I agree this would mix pretty nice with ginger ale.