• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Reed & Thistle

Reed & Thistle

Some of you may recall Eric Ellistad's journey "Stomping through the Savoy".  Well I have decided to embark on a similar journey.  My Son Brent and I have decided to assemble what we call the Reed & Thistle Master List.  This is an extensive list of pre-prohibition cocktails that we can always make for our guests based on spirits we have decided will be permanent staples of our bar.  Naturally there will be seasonal specials and the like but these, while not necessarily on our featured list will be available,  The primary sources for these drinks are Jerry Thomas'  Bartender's Guide, Harry Craddock's Savoy Cocktail Book and The Old Waldorf Astoria Bar Book.

With the intent on keeping the List commercially viable, all of our products must be acquired through the provinces Liquor stores, as otherwise I am not legally able to sell them.  Sadly NB Liquor is not very classic cocktail friendly, with a real lack of liqueurs. That said we are closing in on 500 recipes.

Here is the list of spirits that will be the basis of the list. 

Whisky

Vodka

Dry Gin (Tanquaray)

Brandy

Calvados

Amber Rum

White Rum

Black spiced Rum

Dry Vermouth

Sweet Vermouth

Absente

Tia Maria

Maraschino Liqueur

Apricot Brandy

Countreau

Curacao (Grand Marnier)

Creme de Cacao

Chambord Liqueur

Gary

Reed & Thistle

Reed & Thistle

Some of you may recall Eric Ellistad's journey "Stomping through the Savoy".  Well I have decided to embark on a similar journey.  My Son Brent and I have decided to assemble what we call the Reed & Thistle Master List.  This is an extensive list of pre-prohibition cocktails that we can always make for our guests based on spirits we have decided will be permanent staples of our bar.  Naturally there will be seasonal specials and the like but these, while not necessarily on our featured list will be available,  The primary sources for these drinks are Jerry Thomas'  Bartender's Guide, Harry Craddock's Savoy Cocktail Book and The Old Waldorf Astoria Bar Book.

With the intent on keeping the List commercially viable, all of our products must be acquired through the provinces Liquor stores, as otherwise I am not legally able to sell them.  Sadly NB Liquor is not very classic cocktail friendly, with a real lack of liqueurs.

Here is the list of spirits that will be the basis of the list. 

Whisky

Vodka

Dry Gin (Tanquaray)

Brandy

Calvados

Amber Rum

White Rum

Black spiced Rum

Dry Vermouth

Sweet Vermouth

Absente

Tia Maria