• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

BTW: "Semur Daging" or "Semor Daging" in Indonesian/Malay. ("Smoor" is a Dutch word. So if you search for "Smoor Daging" you will find largely Dutch websites/answers. Searching for "Semur/Semor Daging" gives you websites/answers in Indonesian/Malay. I note that the chef in question is Dutch, from his name.)

BTW2: Just FYI the Indonesian/Malay recipes for this might include more things - like hot chillies and lemongrass.

ETA: "Semur" means a sort of braise, such as is applied to the dish here where it is cooked in a brown gravy quite common in Malay and Indonesian cuisine. "Daging" simply means "meat". Because of Islamic prohibitions since the introduction of Islam into Indonesia, the default meaning for the term becomes anything-but-pork, commonly beef nowadays but could be water buffalo, goat, and so on especially in older periods. I suspect the Hindu Javanese period still used something other than pork, but I am guessing here (wildly speculating).

huiray

huiray

BTW: "Semur Daging" or "Semor Daging" in Indonesian/Malay. ("Smoor" is a Dutch word. So if you search for "Smoor Daging" you will find largely Dutch websites/answers. Searching for "Semur/Semor Daging" gives you websites/answers in Indonesian/Malay. I note that the chef in question is Dutch, from his name.)

BTW2: Just FYI the Indonesian/Malay recipes for this might include more things - like hot chillies and lemongrass.

ETA: "Semur" means a sort of braise, such as is applied to the dish here where it is cooked in a brown gravy quite common in Malay and Indonesian cuisine. "Daging" simply means "meat". Because of Islamic prohibitions, the default meaning for the term becomes anything-but-pork, commonly beef nowadays but could be water buffalo, goat, and so on especially in older periods.

huiray

huiray

ETA: "Semur" means a sort of braise, such as is applied to the dish here where it is cooked in a brown gravy quite common in Malay and Indonesian cuisine. "Daging" simply mean "meat". Because of Islamic prohibitions, the default meaning for the term becomes anything-but-pork, commonly beef nowadays but could be water buffalo, goat, and so on especially in older periods.

huiray

huiray

huiray

huiray

BTW2: Just FYI the Indonesian/Malay recipes for this migh include more things - like hot chillies and lemongrass.

huiray

huiray