• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

IMG_2795.jpg

Didn't realize they show up on weekends - perhaps this one is on the return leg. Wonder if they will take the passengers to the Wiki PowWow? A weekend with Hawfest and the Wiki PowWow is definitely not the one to be on call overnight.

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

So decided it was the day to use my homemade pectin - took a couple of cups of berries from the freezer - blueberries, raspberries and currants - added a couple of heaping tbsp of the pectin - a couple of cups of sugar and boiled until it sheeted (recipe said boil one minute or make sure it made it to 220F - not the same thing!) Forgot to add lemon at the beginning so threw it in at the end. 

IMG_2801.jpg

Meanwhile - baked up a loaf of Jacques Pepin's Soda bread - after you remove the bowl from over the bread you are to cook a further 30 minutes or so - of course setting a timer would be useful!

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Titch browner than I would have liked - but still satisfactory with still warm jam and enough butter. I have a second loaf cooking at 25º F less and I will set that second timer and check earlier in the game. 

Edited: to correct the spelling of currents to currants to quiet the little voice in my head (make that the big voice sitting across from me) who is quite determined to make an english major of me yet!

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

IMG_2795.jpg

Didn't realize they show up on weekends - perhaps this one is on the return leg. Wonder if they will take the passengers to the Wiki PowWow? A weekend with Hawfest and the Wiki PowWow is definitely not the one to be on call overnight.

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

So decided it was the day to use my homemade pectin - took a couple of cups of berries from the freezer - blueberries, raspberries and currents - added a couple of heaping tbsp of the pectin - a couple of cups of sugar and boiled until it sheeted (recipe said boil one minute or make sure it made it to 220F - not the same thing!) Forgot to add lemon at the beginning so threw it in at the end. 

IMG_2801.jpg

Meanwhile - baked up a loaf of Jacques Pepin's Soda bread - after you remove the bowl from over the bread you are to cook a further 30 minutes or so - of course setting a timer would be useful!

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Titch browner than I would have liked - but still satisfactory with still warm jam and enough butter. I have a second loaf cooking at 25º F less and I will set that second timer and check earlier in the game.