• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

19 hours ago, chefmd said:

Surprisingly we got a corn dish.  It looked like it was from a can but it sure was made with fresh corn,

I'm surprised you are surprised to be served corn. China is the world's second largest corn producer, lagging just behind the USA.  I'm sure it wouldn't be canned. The only time I've seen canned corn in China was in a "western" food store.

Steamed corn cobs are possibly/probably the biggest selling street food.But, as you have discovered, frequently turns up in banquet meals, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

13 hours ago, chefmd said:

Surprisingly we got a corn dish.  It looked like it was from a can but it sure was made with fresh corn,

I'm surprised you are surprised to be served corn. China is the world's second largest corn producer, lagging just behind the USA.  I'm sure it wouldn't be canned. They only time I've seen canned corn in China was in a "western" food store.

Steamed corn cobs are possibly/probably the biggest selling street food.But, as you have discovered, frequently turns up in banquet meals, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm surprised you are surprised to be served corn. China is the world's second largest corn producer, lagging just behind the USA.  I'm sure it wouldn't be canned. They only time I've seen canned corn in China was in a "western" food store.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Steamed corn cobs are possibly/probably the biggest selling street food.But as you have discovered frequently turns up in banquet meals, too.