• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

brucesw

brucesw

Some of the DK branded stuff is actually from Germany and some is 'inspired by Germany,' 'Made in the USA.'  Noted on the front of the packages.  I look forward to the Bavarian wieners, natural casing, which are from a meat packer in Chicago I've read.  Their Parkview Deli (?) regular wieners and sausages are made in Wisconsin, I believe.  I wish DK weeks would come around a little more often.   I like the 'Never Any' chicken sausages --- but, they're the only chicken sausages I've ever bought!

The Pane Turano is good.  Tuscan Pane at TJ's may be a little better but Aldi is much closer to me.

The Steelhead trout and Norwegian Salmon are always 'Aldi Special FInds' and 'Available while supplies last' starting on the first day of the weekly circular, which is Wednesday around here.  I've never scored any but my circulars are frequently delivered late and I don't remember to check the online ads until too late.  Atlantic Salmon - pretty much always in stock but not fresh when I've looked at it.

I used to rely on their Happy Farmer cheeses for sandwich slices and occasionally the Specially Selected block cheeses but they've introduced Emporium Selection as a brand and there seems to be a lot less variety.  I will stock up on cheeses at TJ's.

brucesw

brucesw

Some of the DK branded stuff is actually from Germany and some is 'inspired by Germany,' 'Made in the USA.'  Noted on the front of the packages.  I look forward to the Bavarian wieners, natural casing, which are from a meat packer in Chicago I've read.  Their Parkview Deli (?) regular wieners and sausages are made in Wisconsin, I believe.  I wish DK weeks would come around a little ore often.   I like the 'Never Any' chicken sausages --- but, they're the only chicken sausages I've ever bought!

The Pane Turano is good.  Tuscan Pane at TJ's may be a little better but Aldi is much closer to me.

The Steelhead trout and Norwegian Salmon are always 'Aldi Special FInds' and 'Available while supplies last' starting on the first day of the weekly circular, which is Wednesday around here.  I've never scored any but my circulars are frequently delivered late and I don't remember to check the online ads until too late.  Atlantic Salmon - pretty much always in stock but not fresh when I've looked at it.

I used to rely on their Happy Farmer cheeses for sandwich slices and occasionally the Specially Selected block cheeses but they've introduced Emporium Selection as a brand and there seems to be a lot less variety.  I will stock up on cheeses at TJ's.