• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

close parentheses.

I live in perhaps the only college town in the nation that is dry (well, at least as package sales are concerned; we have a gracious plenty of "private clubs" with liquor by the drink). Thus, one goes to the county immediately to the north (if one is up in that direction); to the southeast (the "cheap" liquor store; I buy Balvenie Scotch for $38.99 for 750 ml) or to the southwest (the "good" liquor store, where they have a really good array of craft beer and a semi-decent selection of wine). Or, if I'm in serious search of GOOD wine, I go to Memphis, an hour away, to the primo wine store.

Work travel took me across the state line into Missouri yesterday, so I stopped by the Aldi up there to check out wine and beer. Picked up a hard cider I've never seen before, a couple of bottles of prosecco (mimosas, anyone?), and some wines I'd never heard of, either. Good prices, if the wine is any good.

kayb

kayb

I live in perhaps the only college town in the nation that is dry (well, at least as package sales are concerned; we have a gracious plenty of "private clubs" with liquor by the drink). Thus, one goes to the county immediately to the north (if one is up in that direction); to the southeast (the "cheap" liquor store; I buy Balvenie Scotch for $38.99 for 750 ml) or to the southwest (the "good" liquor store, where they have a really good array of craft beer and a semi-decent selection of wine. Or, if I'm in serious search of GOOD wine, I go to Memphis, an hour away, to the primo wine store.

Work travel took me across the state line into Missouri yesterday, so I stopped by the Aldi up there to check out wine and beer. Picked up a hard cider I've never seen before, a couple of bottles of prosecco (mimosas, anyone?), and some wines I'd never heard of, either. Good prices, if the wine is any good.