• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Panaderia Canadiense, thank you for another wonderful blog!  You are doing marvelous job!

Could you elaborate a bit on the logistics of moving all that food about and selling it to your clients?  

How do you transport your wares on your regular delivery rounds?  I can see you carrying that basket prettily over your arm, but how about all those totes?  Car, truck, handcart, public transport?  Same question for your market trips.  You mentioned buying a hefty amount of flour and then catching a "truck-taxi."  Are you hauling the flour around the market in some sort of cart and then flagging down this truck-taxi?  Or maybe its an Uber-like service?  

When you are out and about on your delivery rounds, are you actually selling items and making change for people or do you just invoice your accounts on some regular basis?  

If these questions stray too far from the world of food for eG blog standards, feel free to ignore them but do accept my thanks for sharing so much!

I'm not sure it's visible in the photos, @blue_dolphin, but the totes are bungee'd on to a pair of small hand-carts, the right size to fit easily and comfortably into a standard yellow taxi.  Stepdad accompanies me on delivery rounds, and he drags the carts.

Market trips involve similar hand-carts with cloth bags that strap onto them; the flour is bought at the last stop - I actually leave it in Klever's charge if I have things to buy further down the market, then return for it.  The truck-taxi (this is a formal taxi service, registered just like yellows, for small cargo - they're half-ton pickups in white with a green stripe, so they're very obvious and easy to spot) is found within the Mayorista and hired to move all the goodies.  Nothing like Uber here, unless you have a lot of friends with cars and free time on their hands.  Truck-taxis can be hired to move everything from your groceries to your house to that cow you just bought at auction.

I am actually selling items and making change for most of the delivery rounds; some clients run a tab which they settle up after payday.

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Panaderia Canadiense, thank you for another wonderful blog!  You are doing marvelous job!

Could you elaborate a bit on the logistics of moving all that food about and selling it to your clients?  

How do you transport your wares on your regular delivery rounds?  I can see you carrying that basket prettily over your arm, but how about all those totes?  Car, truck, handcart, public transport?  Same question for your market trips.  You mentioned buying a hefty amount of flour and then catching a "truck-taxi."  Are you hauling the flour around the market in some sort of cart and then flagging down this truck-taxi?  Or maybe its an Uber-like service?  

When you are out and about on your delivery rounds, are you actually selling items and making change for people or do you just invoice your accounts on some regular basis?  

If these questions stray too far from the world of food for eG blog standards, feel free to ignore them but do accept my thanks for sharing so much!

I'm not sure it's visible in the photos, @blue_dolphin, but the totes are bungee'd on to a pair of small hand-carts, the right size to fit easily and comfortably into a standard yellow taxi.

Market trips involve similar hand-carts with cloth bags that strap onto them; the flour is bought at the last stop - I actually leave it in Klever's charge if I have things to buy further down the market, then return for it.  The truck-taxi (this is a formal taxi service, registered just like yellows, for small cargo - they're half-ton pickups in white with a green stripe, so they're very obvious and easy to spot) is found within the Mayorista and hired to move all the goodies.  Nothing like Uber here, unless you have a lot of friends with cars and free time on their hands.  Truck-taxis can be hired to move everything from your groceries to your house to that cow you just bought at auction.

I am actually selling items and making change for most of the delivery rounds; some clients run a tab which they settle up after payday.