• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cannot one do better with traditional cooking?

Well...

That depends entirely upon exactly who the "one" is.  And which Schwan products we are discussing.

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or has time to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired, or incapable, of doing it now. 

Not to mention that, in my experience anyway, few of even the most competent and enthusiastic cooks are turning out chocolate-covered ice-cream bars, a Schwan's staple.

http://www.schwans.com/products/category?c1=9403&c2=10445

Schwan's got its start, and its early fame, as a dairy, back in the '50s.  I remember my grandmother always having a freezer full of assorted Schwan's treats.  She was a legendary cook but, like most cooks, there were some items she'd rather just buy.

Also, many, many people take advantage of a myriad of options other than cooking - they buy convenience foods in grocery stores, they eat in restaurants, they bring home takeout.

Schwan's is just another one of those options.

And they deliver.

As I said above, I still drive, and I still cook - and god knows I don't need a freezer full of ice cream. So Schwan's is not yet appealing to me.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when it will be.

Jaymes

Jaymes

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well...

That depends entirely upon exactly who the "one" is.  And which Schwan products we are discussing.

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired, or incapable, of doing it now. 

Not to mention that, in my experience anyway, few of even the most competent and enthusiastic cooks are turning out chocolate-covered ice-cream bars, a Schwan's staple.

Schwan's got its start, and its early fame, as a dairy, back in the '50s.  I remember my grandmother always having a freezer full of assorted Schwan's treats.  She was a legendary cook but, like most cooks, there were some items she'd rather just buy.

Also, many, many people take advantage of a myriad of options other than cooking - they buy convenience foods in grocery stores, they eat in restaurants, they bring home takeout.

And they deliver.

As I said above, I still drive, and I still cook - and god knows I don't need a freezer full of ice cream. So Schwan's is not yet appealing to me.

Jaymes

Jaymes

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired, or incapable, of doing it now. 

And they deliver.

As I said above, I still drive, and I still cook.  Schwan's is not yet appealing to me.

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Well...

And they deliver.

As I said above, I still drive, and I still cook.  Schwan's is not yet appealing to me.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when they will be.

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired, or unable, of doing it now. 

And they deliver.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when they will be.

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired, or unable, of doing it now. 

And they deliver.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when they undoubtedly will be.

Jaymes

Jaymes

58 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired of it now. Or even unable to do it now. 

And they deliver.

Jaymes

Jaymes

46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired of it now. 

And they deliver.

Jaymes

Jaymes

45 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Not everybody likes to cook, or wants to cook, or knows how to cook, or is a good cook.  I certainly know people that can't produce an edible meal.  And others that can but never wanted to.  And even more that can, and wanted to, and did, but are tired of it now. 

And they deliver.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when undoubtedly they will be.

Jaymes

Jaymes

43 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Well...

Schwan's got its start, and its early fame, as a dairy, back in the '50s.  I remember my grandmother always having a freezer full of assorted Schwan's treats.  And she was a legendary cook but, like most cooks, there were some items she'd rather just buy.

And they deliver.

But I definitely can see a time approaching when undoubtedly they will be.