• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lafite 1997

Kikujiro

Someone gave me a bottle of Lafite Rothschild '97 for Christmas. I confess I don't know from big-name bordeaux, but I feel I should do the right thing by it. A trial account on Robert Parker tells me to drink it between now and 2015. Should I be holding out? For how long?

Acccording to a friend of mine who is a rather large wine wholesaler (this was at dinner last week) the '97 First Growths are drinking wonderfully right now. A piece of evidence that shows you the wine isnt going to get that much better is that Robert Parker's drinking window ends at 2015. An 18 year lifespan is an incredibly short one for a Bordeaux, especially a First Growth. Better vintages can last up to 100 years. So Gavin's suggestion that the wine is going to be in prime time at around 2007 sounds about right. But if you want to drink it now, you won't be missing anything unless your palate is attuned to mature claret. But if you are going to drink it, I would suggest at least a two hour decant and good glasses.

As I reported in another thread, I drank a 1966 Chateau Lascombes on Christmas Day. I bought the wine in 1969 and it has been in my cellar since. It was spectacular. Funny though, I read my tasting notes from 1975,when the wine was 9 years from the vintage. I noted, "delicate, perfumy and heady. Probably should be drunk in the next couple of years. Don't know how long lived it will be." That was written 27 years ago! ('66 was a near great year. I don't know what '97 was).