• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trehalose

BadRabbit

I recently purchased some trehalose for use in sausage making but there is a real dearth of information on the internet to its exact use in food so I have a few questions.

First, can I substitute directly for dextrose?

Both seem to have similar reported sweetness (dextrose 60% of sugar/ trehalose 50%) but trehalose has additional positive properties like antioxidation and water retention. I just want to make sure I'm not giving up anything with the dextrose that I should account for.

Is the flavor of trehalose similar to any other common sugar?

Are there any other common food uses other than sausage making?

Finally, where does trehalose stand caloricly with other common sugars?

Thanks, MJX.

I just found this which was helpful though I still have questions about replacing dextrose with trehalose:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go2638/is_11_21/ai_n56870167/

This number of applications is due to the multi-faceted effects of trehalose's properties, such as its inherently mild, sweet flavor; and its preservative properties, which maintain the quality of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. The ingredient also has powerful water-retaining properties, which preserve the texture of foods by keeping them from drying out or freezing. Trehalose also suppresses bitterness, stringency, harsh flavors, and the odor of raw foods, meats and packaged foods.

In experiments, the researchers added two levels of trehalose to the sausages: 1% and 2%. A control sample didn't contain any trehalose. The sausages were manufactured, vacuum-packed and immediately frozen after processing at -20 F for periods of 1, 14 and 28 days. After freezing, the samples were thawed at 40 F for 24 hours. Their physical and sensory properties were evaluated.

The sample treated with 1% trehalose did not differ significantly from the control. But the sample to which 2% trehalose was added fared better at maintaining its physical properties. It also was more readily accepted during sensory testing. This level of trehalose generated the highest red and yellow tones in the sample's external color. This sample experienced an increase in its mechanical cutting force and had a reduced purge, retaining its desirable characteristics for a longer period of time.

Adding trehalose to smoked sausages at 2% levels created a product with better sensory and physical characteristics after 28 days of frozen storage than sausages that didn't contain the ingredient.

I can't find the actual study so who knows how well this was controlled but it seems to support trehalose's benefits I've seen reported elsewhere (and what L.E.M. says about their trehalose).

ETA:

The statements about it mellowing out "harsh flavors" makes me wonder if it is actually flavor suppressant across the spectrum and if I'll need to ramp up the other flavorings when substituting for dextrose.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)