• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jus (fundamentals?)

fishy

I am the type of person who needs to know why things are any how they work.

I know how to make jus but dont know why it thickens/binds it, what major compounds are involved that make it what it is...

Other basic questions are what causes it to split, how it can be remedied.

I guess what im looking for are the basic why's and hows of jus.

hopefully someone can understand what im getting at and help. :raz:

Havent heard of splitting? I must be doing something wrong then.

How do you make your jus?

Im thinking there is too much fat rendered from the meat (The jus i had split was beef) or too much searing oil o begin with...just what i can think fo from the top of my head.

I suggest that you find a copy of James Peterson's Meat: A Kitchen Education, which contains an explanation of jus for a couple of pages, as well as a clear pictorial of the process. The text begins on page 9, the pictorial on page 36.

James Peterson came through here a few months ago, publicizing the book. He demo'd making jus in a cooking class that I attended. It was an "aha" moment for the class--we realized why our jus had been so lackluster before. This was the process:

- Start with the roasting pan that has gunky stuff and fat on the bottom. If the gunk has caramelized completely, good. If not (& this is frequently the case), put the pan on the stovetop over medium to high heat until all the bits turn golden brown. Then pour off the fat.

- Add about 1/2 cup broth (or water) to the pan, deglaze over high heat, scraping up the browned bits.

- Strain & serve. A little of this concentrated, caramelized jus goes a long way. Plan on 1 tablespoon per serving.

Peterson demo'd Roast Rack of Lamb with Marjoram-Scented Jus. After straining the jus, he added some freshly chopped marjoram, let the jus heat up gently with the herbs (no boiling), then served it.

This excerpt from Peterson's Cooking cookbook also explains making jus from roast chicken. It's the same process. Go to the second column, first paragraph:

http://books.google.com/books?id=N1wssR1cU-cC&pg=PA244&lpg=PA244&dq=james+peterson+meat+preparing+chicken+jus&source=bl&ots=iIUT3hHziA&sig=vr3Fs6Uwzp9rxICrDEyK_wyaLXw&hl=en&ei=92MBTtiFMJmssQPrpNSqDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Oh alright, I'll post what was taught to me just for comparison and critique

This method is made from scratch and makes use of meat scraps

-First sear the meat scraps in some oil until there is some good maillard reaction then add aromatics (thyme, onion, garlic and peppercorns) and butter to the cocotte and let caramelize. (I was taught that butter browns food better. could some one explain why? .. anyway, I could imagine how the caramelized butter solids could also give good flavor to the jus)

- Degrease (I was told not to discard all of the fat. For flavor maybe? this may be the problem of my splitting) deglaze with a ladle of stock then add stock to cover the meat. This then is left to simmer for 1 hour and 15 mins.

- strain and reduce to desired consistency

Now for some more of my silly questions. haha

What should the consistency of jus be for plating as a sauce?

What are the key points to look out for so the jus comes out clearer?

*One I could think of would be to sear the meat scraps until well done or even over so no blood seeps out and coagulates when i add stock. I cant see a strainer on its own filtering out those pesky particles.

Edited by fishy (log)