• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calistoga

slo_ted

My wife and I are spending 2-3 days in Calistoga next month. We have not been there in six years. Is there any life in the culinary scene there? I know that there are many worthy restaurants in the area--Napa, Yountville, St. Helena--but is there anything in the actual town of Calistoga to recommend? Thanks for your guidance.

SolBar is owned and operated by the folks at Meadowood and is probably one of the better choices, having garnered a Michelin star.

I have friends who swear by JoLe, but I have yet to drive up-valley to head try it.

I have also just begun to hear rumors about a restaurant called Lakehouse that might be worth investigating.

Consider that St. Helena is only 10 to 15 minutes away and there you have options like Terra, Cook, the CIA and Farmstead.

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to report that both Solbar and JoLe in Calistoga are top notch restaurants. JoLe is conveniently located on the main drag and SolBar is a short stroll to the Silverado Trail.

I has now been two-three weeks since we were there so details of the food are fuzzy, but the scallops and the veal sweetbread at JoLe were excellent--my wife declared that meal the best she had ever had at a restaurant. We also loved Redd in Yountville, and ZuZu and Celadon in Napa. Thanks for the tips.