• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Château Palmer Margaux Alter Ego 2004

iainpb

I picked up a bottle of Château Palmer Margaux Alter Ego 2004 at a discount price (a third off).

Does anyone know how long until this wine is at its best to drink?

Hi,

Why was it discounted? 2004 was a very good year and being from palmer-margaux, it will keep for at least 6-8 years. Wine retailers discount these, in my experience, when they are at peak or just soon to be over the top. I would drink one now and decide whether it is worth buying a few more to have over the next few years.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Unexpectedly, this wine was in my local supermarket and was one of their wine offers of the week. It took me four visits until they actually had any in stock. I think a lot of people had been taking advantage of the £30 price tag.

I shall drink one soon and maybe grab another bottle while it's on offer.

I have no temperature controled storage, will this wine stay in good condition at normal room tempurature if laid down for the next two years?

If you could try to find the coolest room/closet in the house (basement, bedroom etc...) and keep it away from any light source, that bottle might just make it in two years. I assume the climate in your area remains cool year-round anyway. My brother in law who lives in California recently brought out a bottle which he bought in 2004 (and had forgotten in his closet), it was a 2002 vintage and i was quite impressed at how well it kept... of course thats California weather for you. Good luck and enjoy!

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Berry Brothers (who know how to mark up wine prices) reckon 2011-2016

http://www.bbr.com/product-73865B-alter-ego-de-palmer-margaux?mode_prices_F=RE

Wine Searcher is a good site to find wines and look for merchant's recommendations for drinking dates

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/alter+ego+palmer/2004/uk

Where did you find it? I found 2003 Penfolds Grange for £99 in Tescos in Bridgend last year. That's Tesco. In Bridgend. Possibly the least likely combination you could think of to find that bottle.