• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispelle vs Crespelle

Saffy

I was looking for a Italian pancake recipe with a ricotta filling and orange sauce of some description which I think is called a Crespelle. I also came across "Crispelle" in my search. The two words seem to be used interchangeably. However I suspect that this is just poor translation? Can anyone tell me if I am correct since Wikipedia apparently does not know the answer.

Crispelle - is a fried strip of rice dough which is deep fried and then smothered in sugar and served with a sauce of some kind

Crespelle is a pancake like a crepe which can be served in a savoury way similar to pasta or with a sweet filling.

I'd really like to know, since it just plain bothers me that I am not sure and there seems to be conflicting information all over the net and I don't speak Italian unfortunately :(

I'm also curious if there is in fact any difference between an Italian pancake and a crepe.

Many thanks to anyone that is able to help.

Edited by Saffy (log)