• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pommes pont neuf

kawa

someone told me you can make pomme pont neuf with puree but i tried it and there was not enough cohesion. is there somthing i can ad to encrease cohesion so they do not disolve in the friteuse? i already tried eggs and flower.

A Pont Neuf potato is what Americans would consider a rectangular "steak cut" fried potato, namesake of the iconic Parisian bridge. It is blanched and fried like any other French fry variant. Using potato purée as a base for a fried potato representation qualifies as pommes Dauphines and requires roughly 1/3rd choux base to hold it together.

yes i know, the clasical version of a pommes pont neuf is a rectanggular cut potato and using a pommes dauphine pate gives us to much problems making a nice rectangular shape, the pate is to sticky. the person telling me about the pommes pont neuf using puree, told me that you need to presse it between two gastronorm plates and then cut it out. I asked him if you need to ad somthing to enhance the cohesion but he could not tell. he only heard about this.

Edited by kawa (log)