• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuneesi Al Rhum

tonylombaardi

Has anyone ever tried to make Cuneesi Al Rhum? I tried them for the first time when I gave them as a gift to my girlfriend, and they're these unbelievably good chocolate truffles, but made in a very unique way. Here's a link I found:

http://prodottitipici.provincia.cuneo.it/prodotti/altri/praline/index.jsp?lang=en

It's chocolate rum pastry cream inside of a baked meringue, then the whole thing is dipped in chocolate. The description says they're dipped in "hot" chocolate, which makes me wonder if it's hot in order to seep into the meringue layer. The outside of it definitely does not have the typical crisp snap of tempered chocolate. It's just a little bit crisper than the filling. I was going to attempt to make some myself but was wondering if anyone here has done it before.