• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dennis Foy's Lawrenceville Inn

Kim WB

Have not been, but am familiar with his food from restaurants past. I have heard generally good reviews of the food, but also consistant complaints with the service...and a bad expereince with the chef when this was pointed out to him.

I am looking forward to a visit this week, he always did upscale comfort food well so it will be interesting to see if he sticks with that.

How was your dinner, Kim?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

We went last night,party of two at seven.

He used the tables and chairs from the Pt Pleasant place...really really uncomfortable and simply don't match the victorain style house the restaurant resides in. Service was fine...one mix up when they poured still into my sparkling water, but they replaced it w. smile.

Started with Sardines, a special, and Wild Mush soup. Sardines were great, fantastic balance of flavors...oil of the slightly warmed fish, with what was perhaps rice? vinegar, shredded cabbage, great dish. Wild Mush Soup was deeply flavored, another winner.

I had the salmon entree..sauteed to a nice rare, good brussel sprouts accompaniement, small-ish portion. Bob had the steak...I am not a fan of grass fed from a taste perspective, and this was quite thin, so difficult to be presented "very very rare" as ordered...it came out MR. Ho hum potato (parsnip?) puree and great fresh peas. ( locally sourced steak..but where did Spring peas come from in jan in NJ?)

Mr Foy was there, charming and gracious, greeting the guests. Pointed out his artwork, which really shows talent. My seat faced a wall with a plain, taupe carpet of some kind...luckily my husband is handsome and engaging, because there was not much else to look at...hopefully he will replace that with his own pieces.

Rec'd a complimentary dessert that was really very good...chocolate mouse but thicker w. hazelnut crust. Will definitely include dessert on our next visit.

Small menu, perhaps 4 or 5 apps, 6 or so entrees..and they were not serving two of them, but also offered two app specials and two dinner specials.

byo, $82 for two, worth a visit.