• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry Sorbet

jbehmoaras

Raspberry Sorbet

I came up with this sorbet recipe because I wanted a simple raspberry sorbet that would really let my fresh raspberries shine through and be the star.

Raspberry Sorbet

• 1 c Sugar
  • 1 c Water
  • 16 oz Raspberries
  • 1/2 Lime

Begin by combining the water and sugar in saucepan over medium heat and stir occasionally until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, turn off the heat and allow the simple syrup to cool on the stove.

While the mixture cools, juice half a lime and pulse it with the raspberries in the food processor until mixture becomes quite smooth.

Then pour the purée through a fine mesh strainer while using a spoon to prevent the seeds from blocking the strainer and to help break up the flesh of any leftover raspberry chunks. Since I like the texture of the seeds in my sorbet I then put what ever is left in my strainer back into purée.

By now, the syrup should still be warm, but not enough to cook the purée. Combine the syrup and the raspberry purée and chill in the refrigerator (covered of course) for at least an hour.

Now all that's left to do is follow the directions of your ice cream machine and enjoy!

*** Note: if your raspberries are especially sweet, or you prefer a more tart sorbet, use an entire lime and use only 3/4 of a cup of sugar in the syrup.

*** Please PM me if you try out this dish, I would love to hear more opinions on this recipe, critical or otherwise.

Keywords: Easy, Dessert, Ice Cream, Ice Cream Maker, Food Processor

( RG1757 )

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09