• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caponata

TongoRad

Caponata

Serves 12 as Appetizer.

I've done this three times in a row in this particular manner- so that officially makes it a recipe. The key is how you cook the eggplant. I've tried doing it in chunks. I've tried baking it split and then scooping out the interior. This is the way that gives the best texture and taste. Go no further if you are afraid of oil, because I use a lot of it here and it gives the end result a luxurious, rich quality.

• 1 Large Eggplant
  • 1/2 c Flour
  • 1 Medium Onion, diced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
  • 1 Rib Celery, diced
  • 1/2 Roasted Red Pepper, diced
  • 1 Can Tomatoes, drained
  • 1/8 c Capers, rinsed
  • 4 Basil Leaves
  • 1 c Olive Oil, or more
  • 1/4 c Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt as required

1- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and coarsely squish them between your fingers.

2- Cut eggplant into 1" rounds, skin on. Salt each side and place in colander with a heavy weight on top. Allow to drain.

3- Preheat oven to 350F.

4- Rinse eggplant and pat dry. Dredge with flour, shaking off the excess. Heat a oven-proof saute pan to medium high and place 1/4" olive oil covering bottom of pan. Saute one side of eggplant slices, adding more oil as needed (the eggplant will soak up the oil like a sponge). Turn over and add more oil to the pan as well as a drizzle on top of the eggplant slices. Place the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and cooked through. You may need to turn the slices one more time and add another drizzle of oil mid-way through the cooking process.

5- Remove from oven and place the eggplant slices to the side. Peel and coarsely chop.

6- In the same pan add a bit of fresh oil, just to film the bottom, and add the onion, celery and garlic. Saute until translucent. Add capers, peppers and basil leaves. Toss until heated through. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, eggplant and a bit of salt as required. Stir and bring to a simmer.

7- Return the pan to the oven and allow to cook uncovered for 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.

8- Remove and refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled with bread as an antipasto.

Keywords: Intermediate, Vegetarian, Vegetables, Italian, Dip, Appetizer

( RG1685 )

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."