• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Croissants

Really Nice!

Croissants

When you make your triangle cuts, go bigger than you think you need to. Mine turned out to be way too small to be anything more than an amuse-bouche even though it looked big when I cut the dough

• 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 oz yeast (two packets of dry)
  • 1 c milk, lukewarm
  • 4-1/2 c flour
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 9 oz butter, softened

Blend yeast with milk in a small bowl.

Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast and milk. Mix quickly with fingertips.

When flour has absorbed the milk, smooth the dough and cover the bowl with a towel and let it stand for 30 to 60 minutes; depending on room temperature.

Roll dough into an oblong shape and dot with 1/3 the softened butter. (Personal Experience Note: do not smear the butter over the dough or the dough won't stick when you fold it. )

Fold dough into thirds and let it stand for 30 minutes. (Personal Experience Note II: Put it in the refrigerator so the dough becomes firmer. It will be easier to roll.)

Repeat rolling into an oblong shape and dot with another 1/3 of the softened butter. Fold dough into thirds and let it stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Repeat rolling into an oblong shape and dot with the remaining 1/3 of the softened butter. Fold dough into thirds and let it stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Repeat rolling into an oblong shape and fold dough into thirds and let it stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Roll dough into a 18 inch by 6 inch rectangle and cut it into triangles.

Roll triangles up by starting at the wide end and going to the small end.

Place croissants on a baking sheet and bend them into a crescent shape. Cover the baking sheet and allow the croissants to rise for about 45 minutes.

Brush croissants with a beaten egg and bake at 425F for about 10 minutes. (Personal Experience Note III: I think mine went 15 minutes

Keywords: Bread

( RG475 )

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera