• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holy Guacamole!

=Mark

Holy Guacamole!

It should be noted that I don’t generally follow a recipe for this, so I’ll approximate as best I can...

• 4 California avacados (the small bumpy ones. The smooth Florida avacados have no flavor)
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 - 3 jalepenos, finely minced (Choose your amount of heat)
  • 1 tsp.black pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chile powder
  • 1 c prepared salsa (homemade, or I’ve used Old Elpaso; choose your degree of heat)

1. Make sure avacados are soft & ripe. Cut in half lenthwise and split apart. Remove pit and scoop pulp into a mixing bowl. Using a glass jar or a ladle, mash the pulp until it is still slightly lumpy, but can be mixed with a spoon.

2. Peel and dice onion and add to avacado. Core and remove seeds from red pepper, dice and add to bowl.

3. Add lime juice and spices to bowl. Note that these spices are to be added to your taste, you may vary them by adding a little at a time and tasting. Remember: if you need more spice it can be added, but if you add to much, you can’t take it back out!

4. Mix all ingredients thouroughly. Serve with tortilla chips. Serving along with a tomato salsa makes a good combination. Makes 3 or 4 cups depending on the size of the avacados.

Keywords: Dip, Hot and Spicy

( RG294 )

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak