• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bhaturas

Suvir Saran

Bhaturas

Serves 4-6

Bhaturas are very similar to pooris. These were eaten in our home with Khatte Kaale Chane (sour black chickpeas). As a child I remember being amazed at how a bread could ever be so tasty. My young cousin Vikram who was born and raised in San Francisco, would come to Delhi and ask for this as the sister of the football bread. He would refer to pooris as the football bread. Elastic and chewy, bhaturas are just a perfect accompaniment to chickpeas made with a tangy runny sauce or made hot and spicy and dry. Bhaturas and chickpeas are a heavenly match. I never question their partnership. I only enjoy their union and love sharing it with all I know. Survir Saran

• 4 c all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 c yogurt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 6 T warm water
  • 1 T ghee or soft butter
  • canola for deep frying

1. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.

2. Add the sugar, egg, yogurt, warm water and knead into a dough that is soft but not sticky.

3. Rub the ghee or butter on your hands and continue to knead this dough to make it nice and pliable.

4. Cover the dough with a wet paper towel and leave in a warm place for 3 hours.

5. When ready to use, divide the dough into 12 portions. Shape each into a round ball.

6. Roll each ball into a 4-5 inch diameter bhatura and keep covered under wet papertowel in a platter. Like t he pooris, keep them in single layers with Saran Wrap separating the layers.

7. In a deep fryer or a Karahi, heat the canola to 375?F.

8. Place the bhaturas one at a time in the deep fryer and fry them till they are a light golden brown on both sides. You should use the strainger very gently to press the poori down as you first place it in the oil. This will ensure that it does not come up very quickly and also encourage it to fluff up. Be very gentle as it fluffs, since it can just as easily puncture.

9. Remove from the fryer and drain on several layers of paper towels. Serve piping hot with chickpeas.

Keywords: Indian, Intermediate, Bread

( RG143 )