• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Paumanok Chenin Blanc 2007'

Don Giovanni

TN: Paumanok Chenin Blanc 2007'

New York, Long Island, North Fork

The wife and I had the pleasure during last fall to ck out this winery...we just stumbled in and were greeted in a very friendly way...this makes the start of a wine-tasting for us ITB because we know how nice it is to makes people feel comfortable...

Knowing 2007 was a great year for NYS we wanted to open this up for a special occasion...

The Color is spectacular, bright pail yellow/gold translucent in a great way vibrant...

The Nose is big, striking blasting nose, crisp, very complex like looking at butterflies and wondering their next move...she dances around in such a pleasant way, the nose is like heaven... awesome bright fruits, major Mango fresh ripe Mango with the crisp

taste of fresh fruit, lemon rind/orange rind showing great acids, in the back

the flutter of tropical Pineapple/passion fruit...honey...in fact leave a drop in a glass for a few

hours and you smell honey...

The mouthfeel is alive, fresh, well balanced, soft, silky yet crisp, some heat when you exhale

through your mouth and nose...then comes the tertiary notes blasting to a string finish as to say I shall live

for many years and I am proud of it, the grapefruit is the last note that mellows out

in a grand finally, leaving the taster a bit more intrigued because this wine takes you on a

magical journey...

The sense of place is dear to my heart and very well expressed, could just a bit of distinct maritime climate have sneaked into this bottle, sure...this a great example of great minerality...

...Kareem Massoud was an excellent wine host when we asked to meet him, he is very much into wine and we talked about how they seem to have mastered the screw-cap...after a lot of geek talk I was very sure they have this under control...Charles was running around when he found out he missed us(remember we just stopped in unannounced) he e-mailed me to explain what he was doing...what a very nice family and they happen to make some of the best wines I have ever tasted...

Last the Alc by volume was 12.5 % and the closure was a Screw-Cap and I loved it...never thought I would say this...no closure taint at all...

A solid 93 Points... this is a great wine... drink now or hold 2009 - 2039, yes she has this potential for aging...