• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toro

glauer

I always liked Toro, but yesterday evening's dinner turned it up a notch. The classics as good as always, with not a single outlier. Then there were two things I never had before:

1) A foie gras creme brulee topped with a PX creme, served in a half egg shell. Maybe a tiny bit too sweet, but otherwise a quite light and flavorful surprise and fun presentation.

2) The absolute winner of the night: Corazon a la plancha. Perfectly cooked rare pieces of grass-fed beef heart with a few sprinkles of fleur du sel on a toasted slice of baguette with creamy romesco sauce. The best little bite I had in a long time. Perfect, if simple, combination that could have not been improved in any way.

As I had a non-offal-eater with me I could not try the other organ meat dishes, but will do asap. If that continues to be the standard of cooking at Toro then they go way up on my list of interesting places to eat in Boston.

Everything else was business as usual. The place is annoyingly loud and the service could be right in Madrid: Not that they seem to care all that much, but you get what you want.

thanks for the update. the globe had a recent article about a pig cookoff and mentioned that jamie m....... from eastern standard- is the chef at toro now. His previous work has left me both impressed and shocked/disappointed so your experience at toro has me hopeful on his evolution. Owner , Chef Ken Oringer, does not strike me as someone who would suffer fools gladly.

thanks for the update. the globe had a recent article about a pig cookoff and mentioned that jamie m....... from eastern standard- is the chef at toro now. His previous work has left me both impressed and shocked/disappointed so your experience at toro has me hopeful on his evolution.  Owner , Chef Ken Oringer, does not strike me as someone who would suffer fools gladly.

aha, is that Jamie Bissonnette? A different chef would explain things. Everything seemed a bit more precisely cooked, a little bit lighter/more elegant and many more dishes (esp with offal) that sounded extremely interesting. Young potatoes with radish and cheese were also quite smart.