• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lue, Aquitaine

thom

All, excuse me blundering on this particular board and launching a new thread but I did have a quick search for Lue and nothing came up. That said knowing how hit and miss the sites search facility is that proves nothing...

Anyway, the reason for said thread is that I have recently found out that my cousin, now based in Bordeaux and married to a nice American chap, has a holiday home in a small village 45 minutes South of the city called Lue.

More pertinently she has offered it as a venue for a free holiday for me, my better half and my two "whirling-dervishes-of-perpetual-motion" boys (aged two and five). In the current economic climate this sounds absolutely like a little slice of perfection.

Obviously as a long-time eGulleteer and general food nerd eating has always been inextricably linked to my travelling but I confess to knowing little to nothing about French dining. The wedding in Bordeaux and a brief business trip to Paris are my only previous jaunts.

Although I know my stuff in many areas of food and drink I know this ignorance and lack of experience of French dining in France is a gaping chasm in my knowledge. I'd like therefore to try and fill the gap a little if we visit Lue this summer.

My only proviso is that anywhere we eat has to be kid friendly. On this basis I would prefer something small-scale, homeley and relaxed rather than anything too formal and fine-dining. That aside hit me with any suggestions for good eating in the vicinity.

Oh, also we'd rather not travel too far (in 45 mins we'd be back in Bordeaux anyway) and I realise that may narrow the brief too much but please, give it some thought and let me know if there is anywhere I really shouldnt miss.

My cousin does say there is a restaurant directly opposite the house that is very good and that people travel to. Her hubby used to have a share in La Tupina, the Bordeaux restaurant that featured in the 50 Best Restaurants in the World list year one so I'm assuming they know what they're talking about.

Any hints, tips or general pointers (about eating around Lue specifically or with kids in France generally) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing? Nada? Nowt?

Darn it, I guess I fall between a chink in the collective knowledge of the French eGullet board.

I know it was a pretty precise and narrow brief in a low profile neck of the words but I just hoped I might chance upon a clued up local.

No matter and thanks anyway, I will trust to my instincts and judgement and we'll make our eating decisions on the hoof!

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Lue being a small village in the Landes de Gascogne, I think 45 minutes South is awfully far away to be considered in the vicinity... Didn't your cousin really say "45 minutes South of Bordeaux"?

I do not know about any restaurants in Lue (I have never heard the name before) but I see you're close to Mimizan, Biscarrosse and not far at all from Gujan-Mestras and the bassin d'Arcachon. Arcachon is a good place for oysters and seafood. Bazas is celebrated for beef (a local breed). The wines of the Sauternais and Graves nearby needs no introduction. Tursan is the local Landes wine (red and white), the white is quite nice indeed. Given where you will be, i.e. the SouthWest, you'll certainly have plenty of dining options in small roadside restaurants.

Head for the confit, foie gras, enchaud or confit de porc, grilled entrecôte, fish, shellfish and oysters.

For 'higher' dining, there is always Claude Darroze in Langon and Michel Guérard in Eugénie-Les-Bains.

Take a look at these:

Restaurants in Arcachon

I heard some good about Diego and their broiled shrimp.

Restaurants in Mimizan.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely fantastic! That's really useful, thanks so much for all the feedback.

I'll get following those links and Googling the recommendations.

Cheers

Thom