• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halcyon

jim07044

Here's what little I know...it's from the owners of Egan's (next door), and the focus was to be on seafood. Looks high-end in terms of decor. That's as much insight as I can offer, other than to say I didn't realize it was open yet! Are you sure it's open?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Here's what little I know...it's from the owners of Egan's (next door), and the focus was to be on seafood.  Looks high-end in terms of decor.  That's as much insight as I can offer, other than to say I didn't realize it was open yet!  Are you sure it's open?

Halcyon opened in September. Info is here:

http://njmonthly.com/blogs/tablehopwithRos...--closings.html

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Been there about 4 times. Great bar service. The bartenders are right on everything and make a killer Halcyon cocktail with Hendricks and St Germain. They have a nice raw bar with about 5 selections of oysters, mostly east coast and kumos, king crab, dungeness, huge shrimp, etc. It is definitely geared toward seafood but they have other items. I've had the "fish and chips" probably the best I've ever had. artichoke and chantarelle soup was a special the other day and great. It is the same owner of Egan's(which I can't stand) but he did this place right. Mostly all white marble. You can order the whole menu at the bar. Crowd is 30-40ish. Everything I have had so far has been good to very good with the exception of the soft opening(expected)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species