• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Best Buy Stainless Steel Disc Bottom Stockpot

tim

Hi,

This stockpot is oversized for the average kitchen, but look at the features.

gallery_20595_6129_61940.jpg

Link to 24 Qt Stainless Stock Pot with Disc Bottom

24 quarts

12" Diameter

12 1/2" tall

Riveted Handles

18/08 Steel (Yeah, it will corrode in 25 years)

18/10 lid

Thick aluminum disc base

Only $55.42. an incredible bargain

This would be perfect for the large capacity stock maker or home brewer.

I'll go back and weight the stock pot and measure the thickness of the base.

Tim

6 gallons is a huge stockpot, but I think most people who like to make stock would want one. It's also a great sized vessel if you have a slip-on circulating heater for sous-vide.

--

Hi,

I have measured the 6 gallon $54 stock pot at Sam's Club and it looks pretty decent.

The pot is labeled: Baker & Chefs, NSF, Part #STM-24/SSTP, Made in Indonesia.

The base is approximately 5/16" thick. That means the aluminum core is approximately 1/4" thick. That would be the same as the Carlisle Signature, Lincoln Centurian or Chaudier lines.

The pot weighs 9 1/2 pounds. The lid weighs just under 2 pounds.

The sidewalls are about 0,037" thick.

The bottom of the base is magnetic. I assume that this implies induction capability, but, I may be wrong.

The interior lining is non-magnetic 18/10 across the bottom and about 3" up the sides. Above that it is magnetic 18/8 stainless.

Tim