• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Weekend

Carlsbad

We were in LA over the 4th weekend. We had three nights, and we went to Josie, The Lobster (on the 4th, but alas no fireworks in Santa Monica this year) and Spago for our anniversary. The Lobster is fun, has a great view, and is still better than I think it is going to be.

Josie was excellent- fresh ingredients and a very interesting menu in a nice, comfortable setting. The wine list has many excellent choices in all price ranges. I would go back anytime.

Spago was once again exceptional. Perfect ingredients, perfectly executed in a Southern California style, incorporating French, Italian, Asian and Austrian influences. The wine list is varied and well-chosen, and not badly priced at all. The patio is great this time of the year.

We also had lunch at Musso & Frank for old time sake (great martinis and a generous Crab Louis), breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel (very expensive but pleasant), and Sunday brunch at Campanile, which I think remains one of the best restaurants in LA.

Overall, it was a great LA weekend.

I've had breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel as well -- were you in the formal dining room or did you go down to the cheeky diner in the basement with the hand-painted palm-covered walls? THAT is quite a place to hear local gossip...

I've had breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel as well -- were you in the formal dining room or did you go down to the cheeky diner in the basement with the hand-painted palm-covered walls? THAT is quite a place to hear local gossip...

We were on the patio off the formal room (The Polo Lounge). It's a very nice setting. The diner is a very interesting place though.