• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PARC Bistro.

Vadouvan

Back to Parc for a minute.  I finally got to eat there as part of a Philadelphia Speaks meetup, and found the food good, as the food is usually at SRO establishments. But -- as I've come to realize -- Starr's true genius is in creating a stage set. Parc is simply his biggest and most complete stage set yet. The food matters, sure -- serve mediocre food in a fabulous stage set and you won't get repeat business -- but it is merely one element in an elaborate dramatic production, one in which the diners are the lead actors.

I found it surreal and unsettling. It is indeed a giant stage set. I've never been to Paris but I have a feeling Parc was copied verbatim from somewhere there. It all felt too perfectly dressed. There seemed to be a lot of stuff that was not there for function but was there for stage feel.

The question/issue for me is: If I'm on Rittenhouse Sq in Philadelphia, which is really a world class location and indeed somewhere worth being, do I want to/need to pretend I am in Paris? Eating French food in a good restaurant on Rittenhouse Square should be enough without the theatrics.

The food was very good and the prices seemed reasonable for the most part. It was a very nice dining experience but it felt forced and phony. I'm an adult. I live in a world class city. I don't feel the need to pretend I am elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've been back to Parc. Today I checked the site, seeing if they were retailing their bread yet. Doesn't seem to be the case.

While on the site I checked out their menus. The lunch menu also had the dreaded Apres-Midi selections. The good news, Parc has more than doubled the selections - eighteen choices now and many things I would actually like to order.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It's been a while since I've been back to Parc.  Today I checked the site, seeing if they were retailing their bread yet.  Doesn't seem to be the case. 

If by "retailing their bread" you mean allowing you to stop in and pick up a baguette for off-site consumption, I have done that.

I completely agree with the lack of need for an "elsewhere" feel, in fact I would prefer to feel like I am in Philadelphia and happy! This is what I loved about Brasserie Perrier, it made no attempt to make one feel like one was in Paris, just in a really cool restaurant. I did not realize at the time how many of the "required" brasserie elements it had and I miss it more now that I have been to Paris, eaten in brasseries, and loved them. I wonder if Table 31 will become more and more like a brasserie, though its location is all wrong for this.

Parc is really stepping up its charcuterie game since I last had it many months ago.

gallery_14_105_21480.jpg

Chicken liver mousse in the ramekin, wedges of country pate, wild boar sausage in front, and other charcuterie including a coarse salami and a nice ham. Heck of a deal at only $16.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter