• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"barnyard" mussels

rascal

Had a dinner at an otherwise nice restaurant last night and my fiance got a mussels dish that she had to send back... the mussels tasted kind of like what it smells like when you walk into a horse barn. Is there any reason non-spoiled mussels would EVER taste like that?

Kind of disappointing because we have always had good luck at this place before.

visit my food blog: beurremonte.blogspot.com

The mussels weren't necessarily "bad" as in spoiled, they may just have been "not good." Mussels are filter feeders, and if they filter water that isn't exactly clean (use your imagination), they'll end up picking up the flavors of whatever pollutants are present. I've had the experience you describe -- nothing's worse.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis