• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony Luke's on Rt. 33, Trenton, NJ

TomDel

My son stopped at the new Tony Luke’s on Rt. 33 in Trenton, NJ the other day and picked up three cheesesteaks on his way over to my house. They were pretty good, but quite frankly they didn’t knock my socks off. I’ve had better at a number of area bars and take-out places. The steak was a little dried out. This sometimes happens if the grill is too hot and they’re trying to cook them too fast. Excellent roll though.

My son had to laugh though because he said that it reminded him of the soup nazi from the Seinfeld show. You have to go in a certain door and then he tried to order by saying, “Three cheesesteaks all with American cheese….” No good, you have to order each one separately and completely before you go to the next one. LOL.

Tony Luke's just can't seem to get it right apart from his flagship sandwich shop on Oregon Avenue in South Philly where everything is exceptional. I personally think the roast pork italiano is the best sandwich by far although he does make a fine cheeseteak too.

He's had several outposts (NYC included) and from what I've experienced firsthand is that they fall way short of the original.