• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tanqueray Rangpur

Mike S.

Anyone have any thoughts about Tanqueray Rangpur? Overall, I think it's pretty good, and actually works quite well in certain applications including a G&T (omit the lime wedge). It also mixes well with ginger ale and cranberry juice. My favorite use, though, is in a traditional Gimlet made with Rose's Lime. Have not tried to make a Martini or other gin-based classics with it. What do others think?

But perhaps more importantly, does anyone know whether this product has been or is about to be discontinued? Tanqueray's website makes absolutely no mention of it. I seem to recall that happening with Malacca, before it disappeared.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Anyone have any thoughts about Tanqueray Rangpur?  Overall, I think it's pretty good, and actually works quite well in certain applications including a G&T (omit the lime wedge).  It also mixes well with ginger ale and cranberry juice.  My favorite use, though, is in a traditional Gimlet made with Rose's Lime.  Have not tried to make a Martini or other gin-based classics with it.  What do others think?

But perhaps more importantly, does anyone know whether this product has been or is about to be discontinued?  Tanqueray's website makes absolutely no mention of it.  I seem to recall that happening with Malacca, before it disappeared.

Saw it on the shelf of my local liquor store on Saturday. I actually picked up the bottle and wondered how it differed from standard Tanqueray and Tanqueray Ten.

So, hard to tell if it's discontinued. What I saw could have been the last of what they had on hand. Or, not. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I doubt it's been discontinued. The brand is only about a year old, and it didn't show up here (Atlanta) for several months after that. If you don't want to invest in a bottle, buy a few miniatures to start (these seem to be widely available), and try it in a Pegu Club.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ah, didn't know it was that new. Perhaps it's so new that Tanq has not had time to add content about it to its website? Nothing like being on the ball....

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

I've had a bottle for the last year or so, but I don't really use it all that often. For my taste it seems a bit sweet for a gin, so I don't think it works well as a martini, and it's far to sweet to drink on ice unless I'm in the mood. Gin and tonic was also a bit syrupy, though it might be good with a drier tonic.

I experimented with it for awhile but couldn't find anything that worked for me, and I've mostly forgotten about it. Perhaps it would work with some other fruit juice.

Ah, didn't know it was that new.  Perhaps it's so new that Tanq has not had time to add content about it to its website?  Nothing like being on the ball....

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please