• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: roughdiamondrough

Florida Jim

Its pasta and mushrooms night so I zip across town for a bottle I want Diane to try. I had the 2005 Filipa Pato, Beiras Ensaios recently at a bar-b-q and thought it much better than its $15 price tag. So Diane now gets to try this Portuguese blend of touriga national, alfrocherio preto and baga that runs 14% and is imported by Eric Solomon. Popped and poured it’s got an earthy, alluring nose with a solid fruit component and a bit of complexity. In the mouth there’s ripe fruit, mostly in the black fruit spectrum, some smoke, earth, tannin and spice – all holding on nice balanced and texturally easy to drink level that makes this wine work well with the food and equally well on its own.

I’m thinking it might even gain a bit with some cellar time but right now it has good character and a sense of itself. I like it.

More than I expected and, even better, Diane likes it.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com